- Bare feet, socks, and soft soled baby shoes are sufficient for pre-walkers. In fact, supportive shoes may actually get in the way of your child’s mobility.
- Once your child takes those first steps, usually around 9-12 months, it’s time for real shoes. First shoes will have a flexible non-skid sole and substantial upper. Shoes protect kid’s feet outdoors. Indoors, toddling around with bare feet actually helps little ones build strength and coordination in their legs and feet
- Shop later in the day. Babies' feet swell and are often bigger at the end of the day. Pick a time that is good for your child: not nap time, snack time, or that cranky hour in between. Bring a favorite toy or treat just in case.
- Avoid busy shopping times so your child doesn’t get overstimulated and the staff can give you all the attention.
- Choose laces or velcro. Velcro fasteners make it easier to get shoes on and off, and you won’t have to worry about retying laces all day long. However, a child may figure out how to remove his shoes and take them off when you wish he wouldn’t! If you get shoes with laces, make sure they are long enough to tie into double knots, so they won’t come undone.
- Go for breathable, lightweight material. Soft leather or cloth is best. Avoid stiff leather, which can hinder foot development, and synthetics which don’t breathe.
- Bend the soles. They should be flexible and have grip, not smooth and stiff. A nonskid rubber sole with ridges will offer good traction
- Check the fit. When he stands, there should be just enough room to squeeze your pinky between his heel and the heel of the shoe and a full thumb width between the end of his longest toe and the front of the shoe. The shoe should provide just enough wiggle room without being too big. Because little feet grow quickly, it’s a good idea to check every month to make sure the shoes still fit.
- Give a squeeze. If the shoe is make of soft fabric, try to grab some of the material on top of the foot when your child is wearing them. If you can’t, the shoes might be too tight.
Size 19- 4inches
Size 20- 4.5 inches
Size 21- 4 3/4 inches
Size 22- 5 inches
Size 23 - 5 1/4 inches